The Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse CIO, Leasowe Common, Moreton, Wirral, CH464TA • Telephone: 0151 353 0861

Open Days

12.00 – 4pm (please note that the last tour starts 30mins prior to closing)
Sunday 1st October, Sunday 15th October, Sunday 5th November, Sunday 4th March and Sunday 18th March

Guided tours to the top: Admittance: £2 adult, £1 if under 16 Children must be taller than 1.06m (42”) to climb to the top. If you have any queries or require any further information please ring 0151 353 0861


We have a number of bespoke educational posters on display at the Lighthouse, on the ground floor.  Each panel represents a different year of World War 1 and shows stories both from the war itself and the soldiers and their families – on both sides of the conflict.

Of particular interest to us is the story of Alfred Scott, The Great, Great Uncle of one of the Founder Members of The Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse.

Alfred  was born 1885 in Sheffield, Yorkshire and was the third child of the family.  They all moved to Wallasey in 1910.

He enlisted into the Royal Navy Nelson Battalion and served during WW1 as a leading seaman.

He was killed aged 30 years ashore at Gallipoli and his brother George Scott was notified of his death.  His name and details are shown on the Helles Memorial panel 1 and 2.

In an extract from The Wallasey News of 25th September 1915 –


After Attack on Turkish Trench


Much anxiety is being felt by his parents at 32, Wheatland Lane over the safety of Leading-Seaman Alfred Scott R.N.V.R., of the Nelson Battalion who was reported missing on the 13th July, following an attack on one of the hills in Gallipoli.  He is 30 years of age, and had been in the Navy for five years, being latterly employed as an engineer at Messrs. Rowland’s at Seacombe.  He went out to the Dardanelles at the commencement of the campaign, being with the Nelson Battalion, in which there are many local men, and according to some at which he was wounded during an attack and could not make his way back into the British lines when our forces had to yield some portion of the captured territory.

As yet the Admiralty have received no report about him, but his mother is hoping to obtain information from Constantinople.

In a letter to his parents, one of Seaman Scott’s comrades writing from Greenwich Military Hospital, says: –

“The last I saw of him was when we were making an attack on the Turkish trenches.  I did not manage to get as far as him before, I was wounded in my right shoulder and back, but I managed to call him.  He looked round and wished me good luck, and hoped I would get back to safety.  Those were his last words to me.  When we first landed we made an arrangement that if either one were laid out we should let the relatives know.  I wrote to Alf, as soon as I got back to the hospital in Egypt and enquired how he got on after I left him on the field.  But I received no answer.  I went back to the Dardanelles upon recovering, but was only there three days before being taken ill.  One of the men from the same regiment told me that Scott was reported wounded and missing.”


Book on This Event